We are committed to safe roads and communities and work with others to maintain road safety.
Safer Roads is a partnership between the local authorities in Berkshire working progressively to reduce road casualties in the area. United through a common identity, Safer Roads delivers high quality, award winning road safety initiatives while maintaining the benefits and efficiency of working together.
The figure of one person killed in a road accident in the Wokingham Borough in 2010 makes the Borough the safest in Berkshire. Visit the GetWokingham website for details about how our Borough is getting safer.
Deer could be involved in as many as 74,000 collisions with vehicles across the UK every year, according to recent research. With this in mind, drivers are being urged to be more aware of the animals this autumn, as the days become shorter and deer are at their most active. For further information visit the Road Safety GB website.
According to statistics gathered by the British Horse Society, there were 60 road accidents in the UK involving horses reported last year with 31 riders injured and two riders killed. Jo Wrighton, from the Wokingham Equestrian Centre, said drivers need to take care and be more educated as sometimes they are not aware if they are causing a hazard. Read the article about horse riders and drivers.
Driving whilst texting
Former American Idol contestant writes catchy tune about dangers of texting while driving.
The number of drivers who have lost their licence due to failing eyesight has more than doubled in the last four years. Read the article about the statistics of drivers losing their licence due to failing eyesight.
Mobility Scooter Users
An electric mobility scooter could cause damage to the user or other people so to protect their safety follow the highway code, whether riding on the pavement, footpath or road.
Please contact the road safety officer for a free copy of ‘A Highway Code for Mobility Scooter Users’. Please download the link for a sample booklet for Mobility Scooter users.
To help drivers understand some of the key tyre issues for their vehicle, along with some practical tips and advice to overcome these problems, TyreSafe has developed a suite of safety advice leaflets for cars, vans, motorcycles, trucks and caravans.
Events and courses
- We offer a free educational driving ‘Motorvation’ course for pre-drivers. It covers all aspects of driving and road safety.
- Safe Drive Stay Alive is a theatre education project aimed at over 16′s, about the effects of a road traffic collision. Visit the Safedrive website to find out about upcoming events
- Do you want to get involved with a group to improve your driving skills and/or take an advanced driving test? If so, check out The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA)
- Safer Roads have produced a video from the latest Safe Drive Stay Alive event.
- Visit our Facebook page to see photos of our recent road safety events.
- Listen to the road safety podcast by Forest School pupils and Cycle Training Coordinator, Jill Bissell, highlighting the dangers of the road and how to keep safe. The password to download the podcast is: forestpodcast
- Watch ‘Blue Light Aware’ showing the journey of an emergency services team. It highlights how their crews rely on the help of other road users when they’re on a ‘blue light’ journey.
- Watch ‘COW‘ - the story of Cassie Cowan, a 17 year old who causes the death of 4 people when she texts while she is driving.
- Read the report from the World Health Organisation about the dangers of using a mobile phone while driving.
- Visit the Directgov website to read about the dangers and penalties for driving while using a mobile phone.
- Visit the Think! Road Safety website for road safety advice.
- Calculate your stopping distances using this simulator.
- Read about young people’s attitude to driving.
- Read about learner drivers to be allowed on motorways.
- Visit the Road Safety GB website to read why the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) have ceased the practice of using pre-published questions in the driving theory test.